- December 3, 2020
- Posted by: admin
The Assistant PM (APM) role is a foundational position leading to a project manager (PM) position, or an individual contributor position depending upon the talent and aspirations of the incumbent and needs of the division. It is responsible for managing small projects as the only PM, a smaller section of a medium/large project reporting to a PM or SPM, or functioning as a specialist assisting the PM in areas such as quality, inventory, technical, reporting, etc. The APM is responsible for oversite, coaching, and training of employees and Team Leads. When supervising others, this role may administer discipline with support from the PM/SPM/RPM or HR. The role does not make decisions regarding compensation of employees; however, the APM may provide input or recommendations.
This position should understand current challenges and progress of a project and communicate frequently and appropriately with management and with the client as needed. This role should hold a level of expertise sufficient to problem solve and drive process improvement and may assume increased scope of responsibilities under direction of management to gain experience necessary to become a Project Manager.
- Assists PM with site preparation and evaluation, scoping and staffing
- Training and monitoring employee performance
- Demonstrates safety leadership by modeling safe work methods, identifying risk and ensuring that all workers are trained on health & safety, including any required certifications such as powered lift equipment
- Completes safety tool talks weekly and at other intervals as necessary
- Project execution and control activities, including quality assurance, issue resolution, risk control and monitoring, compliance management, project performance reporting
- Production & Budget Tracking
- Forecasting production & other project needs
- Communication with management – updates on team and individual performance
- Organization and deployment of employee and physical resources
- Subject Matter expertise over area of responsibility
- Creative problem solving – ability to think critically and resolve project issues
- Handles multiple priorities and deliverables to target dates
- Assumes responsibility for own career development
– Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools related to commercial buildouts/warehouse installations – Technical expertise as required based upon the tasks/function being managed e.g. interpreting plans, specifications, and drawings; good knowledge of assembly, and use of hand tools• Effective time management and ability to obtain and organize resources
• Ability to influence others and partner with peers and corporate resources (HR, Finance, IT) to achieve goals
• Ability to work with diverse personalities and to communicate professionally with clients, suppliers, management, employees, and temporary agency staff.
• Training & Coaching
• Manage & Organize employees and physical resources
• Ability to problem solve & drive process improvement
• Foresee future needs
– Must be able to walk long distances every day due to the scale of the warehouses
– Must be able to carry up to 45 lbs. when completing tasks such as station builds
– Trainable, hungry to learn
– Sense of urgency, but able to manage stressful environment while maintaining professional demeanor
Education & Experience Required
Minimum of 2 years of experience in supervision/management of employees which may be in a Team Lead role within NPSG or a management role in construction, manufacturing, logistics, warehousing, or related industry outside the company.
OSHA 10, 30, Red Badge (AR), construction/mfg. safety experience.
Ability to manage mid-small groups of employees (5-25 employees) with multiple deliverables.
Proficient in Microsoft Office
High School Diploma/GED
Possess and Maintain safe/acceptable driving record based on company insurance requirements
Education & Experience Preferred
Experience traveling, adapting to fast pace, changing work environment
Experience operating and training employees on powered lift equipment, pallet jacks, or similar equipment
Inventory management experience
Quality assurance systems experience